From N00b to Tweep in 3, 4, 5, 7, … 46 stages. Or: The chronology of Twitter usage revisited
Many people have written and mulled over this, and while there isn’t an agreement on the exact number of stages, people agree that Twitter proficiency comes gradually, bit by bit.
Here is a compilation of the various stages that have been proposed – I compiled this list to make a footnote in my own Twitter paper less bulky:)
- Gavin Heaton, “The Three Stages of Twitter Commitment”, Servant of Chaos, 02 Feb 2009, URL: http://www.servantofchaos.com/2009/02/the-three-stages-of-twitter-commitment.html, retrieved 11 Aug 2009.
- FDBryant3, “The Three Phases of Twitter”, Newsvine.com, 12 Jun 2009, URL: http://fdbryant3.newsvine.com/_news/2009/06/12/2924136-the-three-phases-of-twitter, retrieved 11 Aug 2009.
- Jason Hiner, “The four stages of the average Twitter user”, Between the Lines (ZDnet Blogs), 11 May 2009, URL: http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=17722, retrieved 11 Aug 2009.
- Rohit Bhargava, “The 5 Stages Of Twitter Acceptance”, Influential Marketing Blog, 17 Dec 2008, URL: http://rohitbhargava.typepad.com/weblog/2008/12/the-5-stages-of.html, retrieved 11 Aug 2009.
- John Hawkins, “The 5 Phases of Twitter”, John Hawkins Unrated, Jul 18 2009, URL: http://johnhawkinsunrated.com/the-5-phases-of-twitter, retrieved 11 Aug 2009.
- Jeff Sass, “The 7 Phases of Twitter: A Chronology”, Social Networking Rehab, 12 Jul 2009, URL: http://socialnetworkingrehab.blogspot.com/2009/07/7-phases-of-twitter-chronology.html, retrieved 11 Aug 2009.
- Shane Nickerson, “The 46 Stages of Twitter”, ShaneNickerson.com, 21 Jun 2009, URL: http://www.shanenickerson.com/nickerblog/2009/06/the-46-stages-of-twitter.html, retrieved 11 Aug 2009.
RefinedGeek.com (Damian Damjanovski) proposes that job (self-)descriptions can be guessed from the date joined – tehe, look where he put all the self-proclaimed social media experts:
Related Twitter Stages, yet the focus is not on the individual user’s appropriation:
- Mike Elgan, “The 6 stages of Twitter media coverage hell”, Computer World Blogs, 31 Mar 2009, URL: http://blogs.computerworld.com/the_6_stages_of_twitter_media_coverage_hell, retrieved 11 Aug 2009.
- Justin SMV, “The 4 Stages Of The Twitter SeeSaw”, Social Media Vision, 5 Dec 2008, URL: http://socialmediavision.com/social-media/the-4-stages-of-the-twitter-seesaw-2/, retrieved 11 Aug 2009.
It did surprise me, however, that the majority of these articles was written in 2009, with almost something like a little peak in June and July. If you come across any stages that I haven’t considered yet – greatly appreciated if you leave a comment! Also, if you come across a relevant paper that is not yet mentioned in this Collection of Downloadable Twitter-Papers, please let me know.
Comments are closed as this particular article attracted numerous spammers, for which ever reason.